Now anxiety is a common mental health problem. Approximately 30% of Americans suffer from feeling nervous or scared from time to time, these affect their lives. For better, the way to treat their anxiety is medication. In the market, various anti-anxiety medicines are available, two commonly prescribed medicines are Hydroxyzine and Xanax. Although both are FDA-approved to treat anxiety, each medicine is unique.
Here, We discuss these two anti-anxiety medicines Xanax and Hydroxyzine, how they work, their differences, and similarities, whether you can mix them or not, is it safe to take Hydroxyzine and Xanax together or not.
Are Hydroxyzine And Xanax The Same
Xanax and Hydroxyzine are not the same medicine. Both are anti-anxiety medicines but these medications are quite different. For better understanding first, we know what are these medicines.
- What is Hydroxyzine?— Hydroxyzine (Vistaril) belongs to the antihistamines class of medication. It works by blocking histamine and Muscarinic acetylcholine receptors in the brain to relieve allergy symptoms. This also decreases the activity at subcortical levels of the central nervous system (CNS). It is used for short-term treatment of anxiety.
- What is Xanax?— Xanax (Alprazolam) belongs to the benzodiazepines class of medication. It works by increasing the activity of the neurotransmitter GABA in the brain to treat anxiety and panic attacks. It is prescribed for short-term treatment of anxiety.
Both medicines have some similarities such as being used for treating anxiety, having sedative effects, and working on the central nervous system. They also have different mechanisms of action, side effects, and many other factors.
Xanax Vs Hydroxyzine
Hydroxyzine is generally considered to have sedating effects and is less habit-forming compared to Xanax. On the other hand, Xanax is known for its more potent anxiolytic effects but also carries a higher risk of dependence and withdrawal symptoms if not used as directed. Like this, there are more possible differences between them. Now look at the difference between hydroxyzine and Xanax:
|Atarax (hydroxyzine HCL)|
Vistaril (hydroxyzine pamoate)
|Legally Available||Prescription-only||Prescription or over-the-counter|
FDA- Approved uses
|Anxiety disorder and Panic attacks||Itchiness, anxiety, and nausea due to motion sickness|
|Depression, Insomnia. Agitation, Premenstrual disorder.||Acute pain. Insomnia, Opioid withdrawal problems.|
|Mechanism of Actions||It works by enhancing the activity of GABA in the brain||It blocks the h1 antihistamine and muscarinic receptors.|
|Controlled Substance||Schedule IV||No Controlled Substance|
|Extended-release (XR or ER) pill, Immediate-release (IR) pill, Oral disintegrating tablet. Oral solution.|
Tablets, Capsules, Oral solution, Injectable solution
|Onset of Action||20- 30 Minutes||15-20 Minutes|
|Dosage||Xanax 0.25mg – 0.5mg, 3 times daily||Hydroxyzine 25mg -100mg, 4 times daily|
|Half-Life||11- 12 hours||20- 25 hours for Adults & 7- 8 hours for children|
|Medical Supervision||Required Doctors Supervision||Required Doctors Supervision|
These above differences are generalizations and individual responses to medications can vary. Always consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice and guidance regarding medications.
Mixing Hydroxyzine And Xanax
Hydroxyzine and Xanax both are prescription medicines, that work on the CNS (central nervous system). Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine used to treat anxiety and allergic reactions, while Xanax is a benzodiazepine prescribed for anxiety and panic disorders. Mixing Xanax and Hydroxyzine can potentially lead to an increased risk of side effects, including drowsiness, dizziness, and impaired cognitive and motor function.
Both medicines have sedative effects, Combining Xanax and Hydroxyzine may intensify these effects which leads to excessive drowsiness or respiratory depression. Taking them together can also increase the risk of overdose and other serious side effects. Using these medications for a long time can cause addiction and dependence.
Hydroxyzine And Xanax can vary depending on different factors such as dosage, frequency, age, medical history, and how the body metabolizes the drugs. Only doctors or healthcare experts who know all these factors can guide whether it is safe and appropriate to take them together.
Alprazolam and Hydroxyzine are two drugs that work in CNS. So they have the potential for various interactions. Tell your doctor or healthcare professionals all the medicine you are taking.
Now we know all the medications that may interact with this combination.
- Other antihistamines
- Other antidepressants [TCA, SNRI]
- Muscle relaxers
- Narcotic pain relievers
- Medication for HIV/AIDS, Malaria
- Anti-nausea medications
- Other sedatives, or tranquilizers
- Anti-anxiety medication
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI)
- Opioid painkillers
- Azole antifungals
The above Hydroxyzine and Xanax interaction may be right in your situation. Never mix or alter your medication without consulting your doctor or healthcare professional. It is important to prioritize your safety and well-being and rely on the expertise of healthcare providers to make informed decisions regarding medication use.
Side Effects of Xanax And Hydroxyzine
Both have potential side effects and always be aware of these when taking these medications. Remember that the severity and occurrence of side effects can vary from person to person.
Common side effects are:
- Disturbed coordination
- Stomach distress
- Drowsiness, fatigue
- Confusion or memory problems
- Dry mouth
Serious side effects:
- Unintentional trembling or shaking
- Rash or redness of the skin
- Increased anxiety and/or depression
- Social phobia
- Thoughts of suicide or self-harm
Higher doses of medicine or discontinuation of medicine after long use can lead to withdrawal. Some withdrawal symptoms are:
If you take these medicines then always follow the instructions of your doctor and healthcare provider. Before stopping them tell your doctor so that they can appropriate medicines or treatment.
Precaution & Warning
Here we will provide some precautions and warnings you should follow when you use these medications.
- They may cause drowsiness or impair your thinking and reactions.
- Avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
- They can also cause Depression in CNS function and daytime sedation.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid taking these medications.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of substance abuse, mental health disorders, liver or kidney problems, or any respiratory conditions.
- If you have a history of allergy should avoid these medicines.
- Elderly people never take these medicines because they can cause oversedation.
- Hydroxyzine, Alcohol, and Xanax combination may intensify the nervous system side effects.
- Other benzos like Ativan, Valium, Klonopin, and Xanax are never used together.
Always follow your doctor or healthcare expert’s instructions and guidance. They provide individualized guidance to ensure your safety and well-being. Never self-adjust your prescription medicine dosages.
Can You Take Hydroxyzine And Xanax Together?
You should not take Hydroxyzine and Xanax together without first consulting with your doctor or healthcare provider. Both of these medications can cause sedation and drowsiness, and combining them may increase the risk of these side effects.
Hydroxyzine is not a controlled substance but it has sedative effects. Xanax is a better anti-anxiety medicine than Hydroxyzine. Combining them may need the supervision of doctors or healthcare experts.
Additionally, there may be other drug interactions or individual factors that need to be considered before taking them together. It is important to consult a healthcare professional to determine the appropriate and safe use of these medications.
We hope that all the above information may be helpful to you. If you need any advice related to this topic then visit our site or feel free to contact us.