People always mix two medicines to enhance the effect of the medicines but they aren’t aware the what will happen if they mix them which sometimes causes serious consciousness. Benadryl is an antihistamine medication used to treat allergy symptoms, fever, and the common cold and Xanax is a benzodiazepine medicine used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. They are two different medicines with different purposes and actions. Today we all are exploring these two medicines Benadryl And Xanax which can help us to decide whether we take them together or not.
First, we discuss what are Benadryl and Xanax and their uses.
What are Benadryal and Xanax?
What is Benadryl– Benadryl is an over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamine medicine. This medication is also called diphenhydramine and is used to treat common symptoms such as hay fever, other allergies, colds, runny nose, cough, and itchy skin from insect bites and hives. It has a sedative effect which helps you fall asleep as it can be useful for certain patients.
What is Xanax– Xanax is an FDA-approved benzodiazepine family of anti-anxiety medicines. The generic name of this medicine is alprazolam used to treat anxiety and Panic disorders. It increases the activity of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain which leads to producing a calming effect and reduces anxiety. Both medicines have sedative properties.
Xanax And Benadryl: Similarities
Alprazolam and diphenhydramine are two different medicines that work for different purposes in the human body. However, there are some similarities between them:
- Both medicines have sedative effects. If you mix benadryl and Xanax together they can make you feel calm. Taking them together can increase the effect of sedation.
- Benadryl is used as a sleep aid it can induce drowsiness and Xanax has a sedative factor. Mixing them together increases the potential for drowsiness and makes you sleepy.
- Both medicines affect the central nervous system in the brain.
Despite these similarities, we all remember that these medicines belong to two different classes of drugs. They have more differences than similarities. Below we know all the differences between them.
Xanax And Benadryl: Difference
Diphenhydramine and Alprazolam both are different medicines, but they have more differences than similarities such as the mechanism of action, different conditions to treat, and side effects. Benadryl and Xanax for sleep problems are helpful.
- Drug class: Xanax is a benzodiazepine medication used as an anti-anxiety medicine and Benadryl is an over-the-counter antihistamine used as a sleep aid.
- Uses: Xanax is approved for anxiety and panic disorder treatment. The doctor prescribed this medicine only for short-term treatment and long-term treatment of Xanax needs doctor supervision. Benadryl is used for some mild symptoms like fever and allergic reactions. Help to treat sleeping problems.
- Availability: Xanax is a prescription medicine and you can purchase this medicine with a prescription only and also use it under the doctor’s supervision. Benadryl is an OTC medicine and you can purchase it without a prescription.
- Abuse & addiction: Benadryl is not associated with medicine abuse or addiction. But Xanax is a Schedule IV controlled substance. It has a much higher potential for abuse and addiction than Benadryl.
- Side effects: Both medicines have some side effects that can occur when you do not follow the instructions of your doctor. Some side effects of Benadryl are Dry mouth, Constipation, Stomach pains, Blurred vision, Dry throat, Confusion, and Irregular heartbeat. Xanax Side effects are Hallucinations, Slurred speech, Loss of coordination, Issues with memory, and Trouble breathing.
Both Xanax and Benadryl together can cause drowsiness and sedation, but the degree of sedation may vary between individuals. So, use these medicines according to your doctor or healthcare provider.
Benadryl And Xanax Interaction
Taking Benadryl and Xanax together can lead to increased sedation and central nervous system depression. Both medicines have sedative effects combining these medicines can lead to enhancing each other sedative factors. These medicines can intensify the following effects:
- Increased Drowsiness: Taking these medicines together can increase the drowsiness side effects, it can make you extremely sleepy and difficult to stay awake.
- Impaired Coordination: this combination can affect your coordination and motor skills which leads to road accidents.
- Slurred Speech: You may have difficulty in speaking and articulating words clearly.
- Cognitive Impairment: Your ability to think and make decisions can be affected by this combo.
- Respiratory Depression: In rare cases, if you take high doses of these medicines can lead to respiratory depression where you have difficulty breathing.
- Increased Risk of Overdose: Medicine overdose sometimes becomes life-threatening. Medicine who have sedative properties can increase the chance of Benadryl and Xanax overdose. So, always avoid taking sedative medicines together.
You can only take these medicines when your doctor or healthcare provider who is aware of your medical history, condition, and currently used medicines prescribed these medicines. If you are considering taking both medications, it is best to consult with a healthcare provider to discuss potential risks and determine an appropriate dosage.
Benadryl And Xanax: Dosage
Xanax and Benadryl a dangerous combinations. The appropriate dosage of these medicines should be determined by your doctor and healthcare provider. Always follow their advice and take the medicine according to the prescription.
- Benadryl is an OTC medicine so its dosage can depend on the purpose of use. The typical dosage is 25- 50mg every four hours. The maximum daily dose of Benadryl is 300mg. The dosage may change according to the patient’s condition.
- Xanax is an anti-anxiety medicine, only adults can take this medicine. The typical dose is Xanax 0.25mg -0.5mg 3-4 times daily. The medication may be changed depending on the response to the medication
Above Benadryl and Xanax dosage may be helpful for you because the dose depends on various factors such as age, weight, and medical history. Consult with your doctor before taking any medications never take any dosage in your own idea. They will be able to guide you on the appropriate dosage based on your specific situation and medical history.
Safety Tips To Use Xanax & Benadryl Together
If your doctor or healthcare provider advice you to take these medicines together then consider the following safety tip:
- Always follow the prescribed dosage and do not exceed the prescribed amount.
- Inform all the medicines you are currently using to your doctor or healthcare expert.
- Be cautious of sedative effects and always avoid works that require mental alertness.
- Do not take alcohol, other sedatives, and other medicines like opioids, benzo, CNS depressants, and Anticholinergic medications.
- Pay attention to medicine side effects like drowsiness and confusion.
Can You Take Benadryl and Xanax Together
No, You should never try to take them together. Both are used for different purposes. Taking Xanax and Benadryl together can heighten the side effects like dizziness, drowsiness, inability to concentrate, and lack of coordination because both medicines have sedative properties. Combining these two can be more dangerous for senior people. Your healthcare provider can provide personalized guidance on medication use and potential interactions based on your specific health and medical history.
Today we discuss Benadryl and Xanax and understand these medicines. We hope that above all information can help you to make a decision if you take them together or not. For more information or for a second opinion consult with your doctor. Feel free to contact us about this topic we try our best to solve your all problems.