We all know that Anxiety is one of the common mental health problems but it can affect your daily life you can face problems at home, school, and work. The good news is that several effective anti-anxiety medicines can help improve the quality of life in people who suffer from Anxiety. Valium Vs Xanax is the best anti-anxiety medicine used to fight many mental health disorders.
Doctors and healthcare providers commonly prescribe a benzodiazepine class of medications to treat anxiety. Two frequently used benzodiazepines are Valium and Xanax. Because both medications are of the same drug class, many people think that these medicines are similar, but there are some differences between them.
Here, We compare Valium (Diazepam) Vs Xanax (Alprazolam) please continue reading to learn more about diazepam vs alprazolam and get a better idea of which medicine Valium Vs Xanax might be right for you.
What Are Valium And Xanax?
Valium and Xanax are anti-anxiety medications for flight anxiety belonging to the Benzodiazepines class of Drugs. Diazepam is the generic name for Valium and Alprazolam is the generic name for Xanax. Both drugs affect the neurotransmitter in the brain and produce a calming effect, which blocks brain signals and activity of the central nervous system. These drugs act like minor tranquilizers. Both medication has some mild and severe side effects.
How Do Valium Vs Xanax Work?
They work in a similar way because both medicines belong to the same class. It works by enhancing the effect of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a receptor that creates a calming effect in the brain, which helps to reduce anxiety symptoms and promote sleep.
Alprazolam vs diazepam are both the benzo (Benzodiazepines) medicines. When you take these medicines they are immediately absorbed by the stomach and go into the blood cells. Through your blood, these medicines can be distributed to your body parts and other tissues like your brain, liver, kidney, muscles, and body fats and help people manage their condition more effectively.
Valium Vs Xanax: Similarities
Xanax vs diazepam- Both medications fall into the same class of medicine and work for treating anxiety in the same way in the brain. They increase GABA activity in the brain and create the Calming Effect. Other similarities are:
- Both Medicines are under the same family drug.
- Approved by FDA to treat anxiety and mental health.
- Can obtained by the doctor’s prescription.
- Available in both brand and generic form.
- Has Schedule IV controlled substance.
- In the market available in both oral and injection solutions.
- Has potential for abuse and addiction.
- Can cause withdrawal symptoms if discontinued abruptly.
- Some similar side effects include drowsiness, fatigue, speech problems, confusion, and memory problems.
- Both are for short-term use if you need these medicines for long-term use then consult with your doctor.
Valium Vs Xanax: Difference
Above we discuss about similarities between alprazolam and diazepam but now we see the difference between them. So that it can help you know which medicine is appropriate for you. The key difference between these medicines is Potential, effect, onset and duration, etc.
What is the generic name?
Valium’s generic name is Diazepam and Xanax’s generic name is Alprazolam.
What are the treatment uses?
Valium is used to treat anxiety disorder and short-term anxiety symptoms, Alcohol withdrawal symptoms, muscle relaxations, serotonin syndrome, Seizure disorders, and stiff-person syndrome (SPS). Xanax is used to treat Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic orders.
What forms does it come in the market?
In the market, Valium is available as an oral solution, injectable solution (injection), a liquid nasal spray, and rectal spray. Xanax is available as an oral solution, an immediate-release tablet. Extended-release tablet, Injection, Rectal gel.
What is the typical valium vs Xanax dosage and maximum daily dose?
1 mg of Xanax is equivalent to 20 mg of Valium, 10mg of Valium compared to Xanax 0.5mg.
- You can take valium tablets directly by mouth for better effect. For anxiety, take the 2mg -10mg tablets 2-3 times per day. Or take 2- 10mg via intravenous (IV) or intramuscular (IM) every 3-4 hours. For other treatments, take 2-10 mg tablets 4 times per day. 40mg is the maximum recommended dose.
- Xanax is available as both (IR) regular-release and (ER) extended-release tablets. You can Take Xanax 0.25mg to 0.5mg tablets by mouth 3 times per day. For anxiety: 4 mg, and For panic disorders: 6-10 mg is the maximum daily dose.
The above dose is valium vs Xanax for anxiety and other treatments might help you. So, you can ask your doctor about the dose that is right for you.
What are the usual Oral Dose and frequency of the dose?
Valium takes 2 to 10 milligrams, 1-4 times per day, and 0.25 to 2mg, 2-3 times per day. If the above dosages might be not suitable for you then consult with your doctor about the dosages that are right for you.
What is the Onset, duration, and half-life of these medicines?
- Onset: Valium has a rapid onset effect. It takes 0- 15 minutes to start having an effect. Xanax has an intermediate effect, it takes 20- 30 minutes to start having an effect. Valium will reach its peak effectiveness in an hour, while Xanax takes 1-2 hours to have peak effects.
- Duration: Xanax begins to gradually subside after reaching its peak and the effect gradually goes down in 6 hours. But Valium effects last for 12 hours.
- Half-life: Valium will take 60-72 hours for half of the original medication to be metabolized in the body. The half-life of the Xanax is 6-12 hours.
How long does it remain in your system?
In Valium case Urine: 2 weeks Saliva: 7–9 days Hair: 90 days and in Xanax Case Urine: 7 days Saliva: 2 days Hair: 90 days.
Xanax Vs Valium: Drug Interaction
Both medicines have the ability to cause respiratory depression and addiction. They have many of the same interactions with the other drugs because both are the same class of medication. Medications that affect your central nervous system can be dangerous when combined with benzodiazepines. So before taking any drug combinations consult with your doctor. Some drug interactions with Xanax and Valium are:
- Anti-seizure medications
- Muscle relaxants and tranquilizers
- Antidepressants and mood stabilizers
- Opioids like codeine, oxycodone, tramadol, and heroin
- Other benzodiazepines like Ativan, etc.
Always tell your doctor or healthcare distributors about all the medicines you currently take before you start taking these medicines.
Side Effects Of Valium Vs Xanax
Side effects are common for using medication. Both medicines can cause common side effects or severe side effects. Some of the potential side effects of both medicines include:
Common side effects: Changes in appetite, Constipation, Difficulty urinating, Dizziness/lightheadedness, Drowsiness/fatigue, Dry mouth, Headache, Memory problems, Nausea and vomiting, Slurred speech, Vision changes such as blurred vision, agitation, Confusion, Depression, Difficulty speaking.
Severe Side effects: Excessive drowsiness/decreased consciousness, Loss of consciousness, Slow and shallow breathing, Trouble walking or standing straight, Hallucinations, Increased agitation/irritability.
Xanax versus Valium: Warning
We all know that every person cannot take every medicine. So before taking any medicine you know all of the conditions and warnings.
- You should not take Xanax or Valium if you have acute narrow angle-closure glaucoma.
- During pregnancy or breastfeeding do not take these medicines because they can lead to absorption of the medication by the fetus/newborn.
- Patients who have drug dependence, neuromuscular disease, Unusual sleep problems, severe liver insufficiency or liver failure, and patients with depression should avoid taking these medications.
The above Conditions match the patient’s advice to avoid these medications. If Any problem Occurs consult with your doctor.
Is Xanax stronger than Valium?
Many people ask the same question- Is Xanax stronger than Valium? And People often Valium compared to Xanax.
According to studies or our understanding both Valium and Xanax are effective in treating anxiety, valium vs Xanax for panic attacks and other health conditions. However, Valium takes a very long time to get away from your body. It also causes more drowsiness to the patients than Xanax.
Sometimes People want to know Ativan vs Valium vs Xanax which is better because all medicine comes from the same class but all have their merits and demerits. So, the doctor can decide which anti-anxiety medicine is right for you.
It does not mean that strong medicine can be right for you. You need to know that every medicine works differently and each person’s body factor is different. So you consult with your doctor or healthcare provider they decide which medicine is right for you.
Valium Vs Xanax Reviews and Cost
Both researchers say that valium and Xanax have the same effect but they treat different patients. Problem cures fully depend on the patient’s condition. Valium is more effective than Xanax. If you want to know more about reviews of these medications then visit our site.
Cost: Per unit of 5mg valium is $5.66, 100 Tablets of 5mg Valium Cost is $566.34. Per unit of 0.25 mg Xanax is $5.56, 100 tablets of 0.25mg Cost is $555.84
The cost depends on the particular pharmacy and healthcare distributor. Cost may be different depending on the brand and amount of ordered medicines.
Above we compare two benzodiazepine class of drug Valium (Diazepam) Vs Xanax (Alprazolam). This medicine information can help you decide which medicine is right for you. If you face some problem or need to ask questions related to this then visit our site for more information or contact us. We solve your all problems regarding anxiety. Or Your doctor can give you further information and help you decide which drug is right for you.