Buspirone and Xanax both are anti-anxiety medicines but both have different factors. Buspirone is not a sedative like Xanax but it’s not a first-choice medicine and takes a few weeks to fully kick in. Below, we possibly mentioned all the information about Buspirone Vs Xanax.
Please continue reading to find out which medications are more effective. It can help you understand Buspirone vs Xanax for anxiety, their similarities, differences, dose, side effects, and which is right for you. Before we know what are Buspirone and Xanax.
What Are Buspirone and Xanax?
Buspirone’s brand name is Buspar. It is an FDA-approved anti-anxiety prescription medicine. This medicine has a high activity for serotonin receptors and moderate activity for dopamine receptors. Another name is Buspirone HCL which is used for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and panic disorder. It does not cause sedation. It has a lower chance of addiction than other medicines.
People always search What is Xanax? Xanax’s brand name is alprazolam. It is also an FDA-approved prescription medicine to treat anxiety, GAD, Panic disorder, and other mental illnesses. This medicine increases the effects of GABA on the brain. It all takes place in the central nervous system and produces a calming effect that can help promote sleep when taken at bedtime. It can cause sedation and the risk of addiction and dependence is very high.
Buspirone Vs Xanax: Similarities
The key similarity between Buspirone and Xanax is both are anti-anxiety medicines. Both are used to treatment for generalized Anxiety Disorder or panic disorders. They can help patients to relieve symptoms like Muscle tension, Chest tightness, Sleep disturbances, Insomnia, Difficulty concentrating, and Restlessness. They are also known as Buspirone vs Xanax sleep aids.
Buspirone Vs Xanax: Difference
Buspirone and Xanax both are anti-anxiety medicines. But their brand name, chemical factor, effect on the body, dose, and other factors cause differences between the two.
- Xanax is the benzodiazepine class of drug and Buspirone drug class is the anxiolytics class.
- The brand name of Buspirone is Busper no longer available in the United States and the brand name of Xanax is alprazolam. It is also available in both generic and brand names.
- Buspirone works on serotonin and dopamine receptors and Xanax works on the neurotransmitter receptors for GABA.
- Xanax takes as few as 30 minutes to feel the effects of the medicines but Buspirone takes up to 3 weeks to begin working.
- In the market, Buspirone is available as an Oral tablet and Xanax is available as an Immediate-release oral tablet, extended-release oral tablet, orally disintegrating tablet, and oral solution.
- Store these medicines at room temperature and keep them away from water, and heat. Do not freeze them and do not take expired medicine.
- Buspirone is prescribed for short-term as well as long-term treatment but Xanax is prescribed for short-term treatment and long-term treatment depending on the patient’s condition under doctor supervision.
- It can be used off-label to treat anxiety by children as young as 6 years old and Xanax can be occasionally prescribed off-label to treat anxiety by children as young as 8 years old.
- Buspirone has fewer side effects, a Low risk of withdrawal symptoms, and less chance of addiction than Xanax.
Food & Drug Interaction: Buspirone Vs Xanax
Buspirone and Xanax can not interact with certain foods and medicines. So it’s important to know that before taking any medicine or food ask your doctor about this. Give your doctor all the medicine and food lists you take with these medicines. Buspirone and Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication. Interacting with other medicines can increase the side effects of these medicines. Avoided the following substances during medication.
- While taking Xanax must avoid alcohol. Xanax has sedation factors and alcohol has sedative effects on the body. If you take them together then it can increase the side effects of the medicines, causing you loss of consciousness, slow breathing, and coma.
- Avoid Grapefruit and grape juice while taking Buspirone and Xanax. It can interact with the medicine and increase the chase of severe side effects.
- itraconazole, nefazodone, and rifampin are the specific drugs that can interact with both medications.
- Buspirone can interact with certain medicines. Tell all your medicines lists to your doctors and healthcare providers. Many drugs can affect buspirone. If you take buspirone such as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like Phenelzine (Nardil), Selegiline (Emsam), and Tranylcypromine (Parnate) never use these medicines. You should not take this medicine within 14 days if you use MAOIs because it can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome.
- Xanax has a chance of oversedation, overdose, and respiratory depression. Taking Xanax with other drugs can cause an increase in side effects of these medicines or death. So, Avoid certain medicines when you take Xanax such as Antidepressants, Opioids, ketoconazole, cimetidine, fluvoxamine, and seizure medications.
Cost And Dosage Of Buspirone Vs Xanax
Buspirone and Xanax both have a different effect in effects. Both medicine’s cost and dosage are also different from each other. Follow the below content and learn more about these medicine’s cost and dosage.
Dosage of Buspirone Vs Xanax:
- Doctors initially prescribed Xanax 0.25mg – 0.5mg three times per day. Xanax starts to work within 30 minutes. The dosage may increased every three to four days depending on the patient’s condition. The maximum daily dose is 10 mg. In the market, This medicine is available as quick-dissolving tablets or liquid for people who have trouble swallowing pills.
- Buspirone dose for anxiety– The initial dosage of Buspirone is 10 milligrams to 15 milligrams per day in two to three divided doses. The dose can be increased every 2 or 3 days, if necessary. The typical dose is 20mg to 30mg, two or three times per day. The maximum dose of this medicine can not be more than 60 mg per day. You can take this medicine directly by mouth or cut the tablets if needed.
Mentioned dosages are generally prescribed to the patient It may be effective for you. The doctor prescribes the dosage of the medicine according to the patient’s condition, and medical history. So before taking any medicine consult with your doctor.
Cost of Buspirone Vs Xanax:
Buspirone per unit of 10mg tablet is $0.46 and $45.78 for 100, 10mg tablet for this medicine. Xanax per unit of 0.25mg tablet is $5.56 and 100 tablets of this medicine is $555.84. The cost varies at different pharmacies. It can fully depend on your pharmacy and health care provider.
Which Is Better For Anxiety Xanax Vs Buspirone
Xanax and Buspirone both are anti-anxiety medicines used to treat Anxiety, its symptoms, and Panic Disorder. Both have some effects and side effects on the patient’s condition. Xanax can act faster than Buspirone but it has fewer side effects and less chance of addiction than Xanax.
Which medicine is better for patients to treat anxiety fully depends on the Patient’s condition, formulation, medical history, other medicines you have recently used, and side effects. So, you can ask your doctor or healthcare provider about this and they can help you choose the best medicine according to your conditions.
Side Effects Of Buspirone Vs Xanax
Medicine can cause side effects for different reasons and every medicine has some effects and side effects. So, it’s important to know all the side effects that can occur before taking any medicine. Some common side effects of Buspirone Vs Xanax are Drowsiness, Dizziness, Fatigue, Incoordination, Insomnia, Headache, Constipation, Diarrhea, Lightheadedness, Excitement, Depression, Blurred Vision, Dry Mouth, Skin Rash, and Weakness. Other side effects of Buspirone vs Xana are:
- Buspirone: Nausea, Nervousness, Decreased concentration, Anger/Hostility, Confusion, Stomach Distress, Vomiting, Muscle Aches or Pains, Numbness, Burning or Prickling Sensations, Sweating.
- Xanax: Irritability, Memory Impairment, Cognitive Disorder, Difficulty Speaking, Decreased Libido, Confusion, Increased Libido, Change in Libido, Increased Salivation, Lowered Blood Pressure, Behavioral or Mental Inhibition, Talkativeness, Derealization, Increased appetite, Decreased appetite, Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Urination Difficulties, Menstrual Disorders, Sexual Dysfunction, Inability to Urinate, Abnormal Involuntary Movement, Muscle Twitching, Anxiety, Sweating, Racing heartbeat.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does Buspirone have the same effect as Xanax?
Buspirone & Xanax are both medicines useful to treat anxiety. Xanax takes 30 minutes to begin working but Buspirone takes at least 2 weeks to start work. Buspirone is prescribed for long and short-term treatment but Xanax is only used for short-term treatment.
.How does Buspirone make you feel?
Buspirone has fewer side effects than other anti-anxiety medicines. It can also cause some people dizziness, Headache, Blurred Vision, and Insomnia which could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Is buspirone a controlled substance?
No, Buspirone is not a controlled Substance. Unlike these medicines, other anti-anxiety medicines have controlled substances e.g., Ativan and Xanax.
How much buspirone equals a Xanax?
Initially, Doctors or healthcare providers give advice to take Xanax 0.25mg three times per day. The initial dosage of Buspirone is 10 milligrams to 15 milligrams per day in two to three divided doses.
What is stronger Xanax or buspirone?
Studies show that buspirone and Xanax are equally effective at treating anxiety and its symptoms but it depends on various factors like medical history, patient’s condition, side effects, etc.
Can Buspirone vs Xanax be used while pregnant or breastfeeding?
It is very dangerous to use Xanax during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Avoid taking these medicines during pregnancy or breastfeeding, if you urgently need Xanax or buspirone then consult with your doctor.